Violence against Children in Madrasa
The Center for Sustainable Conflict Resolution (CSCR) was invited to attend the Fifth Forum of Global Network of Religion for Children (GNRC) organized by Arigatou International, in Panama between the 9th and 11th of May 2017. The theme of this forum was, Ending Violence against Children. Following the Panama Declaration on Ending Violence against Children and the promise to “stand together to reject and speak out against all forms of violence against children in every setting” CSCR is coming with a project to end violence against children in madrassa.
Madrassa going children in Kenya and elsewhere are subjected to violence in those religious institutions all in the name of teaching them religion and inculcating religious discipline in them. Keeping quiet to these atrocities meted on children would be a disservice to the children and not being true to the commitment made at the end of the GNRC fifth forum. CSCR therefore, inspired by the Forum’s sub-theme “Nurturing Spirituality and Ending Violence in Child Upbringing”, will organize a training for madrassa teachers to sensitize them on the need to understand children, in imparting religious teachings and Tarbiyah (nurturing) devoid of violence.
The objectives of this programme are as follows:
- To establish the extent in which madrassa children are exposed to violence. A study will be conducted. The data will be used to analyze the extent of violence in madrassas, and to create a database of madrassa teachers.
- Establish effect of violence on children in madrassa vis-a vis recruitment to violent extremism
- Build capacity for madrassa teachers on how to handle children professionally in learning institutions
- Develop a training manual
- Build madrassa teachers’ pedagogical skills